I was watching some videos on you tube and this one caught my eye. It is a documentary called bowling for columbine. It talks about several aspects. One thing really got my attention. In the Columbine High School shootings, many people blamed it on Marilyn Monroe and his music. They interviewed him(Marilyn Monroe) and he stated that they blame him because he speaks his mind and he symbolizes fear. He sings heavy metal rock and roll. The student responsible for the shooting, really liked this famous rock star. He was planning to go to Marilyn's concert except later on, it got cancelled. If you research you tube, they say that the shooting might not have happened if it wasn't for marylin monroe's songs which contain violence,sex,crime, fear, and such. Do you think Marilyn might have caused the guy to start that shooting? Did that heavy rock music get into such depth in his brain?
Thursday, November 20, 2008
Columbine and Marilyn.
I was watching some videos on you tube and this one caught my eye. It is a documentary called bowling for columbine. It talks about several aspects. One thing really got my attention. In the Columbine High School shootings, many people blamed it on Marilyn Monroe and his music. They interviewed him(Marilyn Monroe) and he stated that they blame him because he speaks his mind and he symbolizes fear. He sings heavy metal rock and roll. The student responsible for the shooting, really liked this famous rock star. He was planning to go to Marilyn's concert except later on, it got cancelled. If you research you tube, they say that the shooting might not have happened if it wasn't for marylin monroe's songs which contain violence,sex,crime, fear, and such. Do you think Marilyn might have caused the guy to start that shooting? Did that heavy rock music get into such depth in his brain?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Marilyn Manson*
But I must say I’m a pretty big Manson fan and although some of his lyrics and videos are graphic, the reality is that there are many artists that express the same concepts in their music. I think that it would be unreasonable to say that the Columbine incident was due to the influence of his music. Yes, as an artist he doesn’t follow the norm and has an unusual style, but I don’t believe he should be blamed for his uniqueness. I greatly admire Manson's individuality and personally think his music is very good. I do, however, agree with the fact that the media today is starting to get increasingly violent. I can honestly say that not a day goes by that I don’t hear about references to sex, drugs, or violence on TV or in music. But regardless of these factors, at that age one is expected to know right from wrong and I strongly believe that music couldn’t drive someone in such a powerful manner to end the lives of so many people.
Post a Comment